I like to eat and fortunately, so does my family!
I look forward to my parents visit with happiness, hiding my last five dollars and loosening the belt. When Mom and Dad come the agenda is planned in among how many restaurants we can fit into one day, including coffee stops at Starbucks and The Pourhouse.
After going down the long list of amazing places to eat, we select our favorites. Here are the best places to stuff your face freely!
1. Breakfast: The Runcible Spoon serves the best pancakes and omelet and side combinations. Though a little pricier, the large pancakes can be ordered three at a time and able to be taken back home if you do not finish. (food for the next three days!) It is located off Kirkwood Road, near Boxcar Books.
2. Lunch: Bloomingfoods on Morton Street. In the mood for a salad, soup or sandwich? The healthiest, organically grown vegetables and ingredients are combined to make several types of edible items. Vegetarian/Vegan? no problem, besides having many veg. options, sometimes the restaurant has a special fake meat options that tastes like the real thing!
3. Mid-Afternoon snack: Ok, so after a healthy lunch of vegetables and whole grains, it is time to splurge a little. Farm restaurant has the best, the BEST, french fries in Bloomington. They are not just fries, but decadent potato strips dipped in garlic and other spices. Totally toxic, totally good, and totally worth it. Be careful on the times for this restaurant, the owners only offer certain meals based on the time! Located on Kirkwood.
4. Dinner: I could not select one, so i split it up into two categories:
A. Fancy dinner: Malibu Grill has a large selection of pastas, fish, meat, salads and great spinach and artichoke appetizer. It is a large restaurant that is usually busy with Bloomington residents and students. In my opinion, it is the spot for someone on a first date, hint hint. I actually took my parents there when they visited being starving, we each had own dessert. Go with the chocolate cheesecake!
B. Laid back, watching the local game: Scottys has the most burgers I think in the area. The best, in my opinion, is the one with peanut butter on it. (I know it sounds gross, but it was awesome). Unfortunately i have become a vegetarian and cannot go with the PB burger but there are many vegetarian options.
5. Dessert: For ice cream, Hartzel's Ice Cream has many options, not all ice cream but including frozen yogurt and shakes and smoothies. It is a typical ice cream parlor, cold and delicious.
For cookies on a late night, i hope you know already that Baked is the only place to call. Choose whatever type, topping and extra goody you want, dip in milk and die in bliss.
I want some now.
Besides great basketball and a beautiful campus to view, Bloomington has much to offer. You will never go hungry in B-Town!