Use Twitter as a Learning ToolLaura Reed
Depending on how you use it, Twitter can be an incredible time-waster or a useful resource. Because you're reading this blog, I assume you're interested in learning about technology. Why not use Twitter as a tool to further your learning?
In this post, you'll find a curated list of Twitter accounts that regularly share links to technology news, tips, tricks, and tutorials. Once you've chosen some accounts to follow, it's a good idea to create Twitter lists so you can easily find the type of information that you need. Here are a few tweeters organized by category.
- @excelwhizz joined Twitter in 2015. They have less than 400 followers, but they post regularly. Most @excelwhizz tweets are links to Microsoft Excel tutorials on their website, ExcelWhizz.com. They also share Excel tips from other Twitter users.
- @MrExcel, Bill Jelen, is a more established tweeter. He's been on Twitter since 2007 and has amassed over 12.5 thousand followers. @MrExcel tweets links to tutorials on his website and YouTube channel. Jelen is the author of 43 books about Excel.
- @OfficeInsider is the official Twitter account of the Microsoft Office Insider Program. They tweet about the latest updates to Office 365 applications. There's lots of info in this feed for Android users.
- @OneNoteC is OneNote Central. Tweets are all about Microsoft's OneNote application. You'll be surprised at the number of tasks you can accomplish with this tool.
- @evernotehelps, the official Twitter account for Evernote support, offers how-tos and announcements of software updates and webinars. You can ask for help with Evernote via this account.
- @Gmail tweets tips, tricks, and news about Google's email service.
Coding and Web Development
- @CodeNewbies describes itself as "The most supportive community of programmers and people learning to code." Follow this account for links to CodeNewbie's podcast episodes and blog posts. Join their Twitter chat every Wednesday at 9 PM EST.
- @html5andcss3 shares links to tutorials and other information about these web markup languages and web programming in general.
- @html5showcase is the account for the HTML5 Showcase website. Follow this feed to view the latest listings to their gallery of exemplars.
Adobe Creative Suite
- @creativecloud is Adobe's catchall Twitter account for all things Creative Cloud (CC). Follow this feed for tutorials and examples of work done by professionals who use CC.
- @AdobeCreate "is Adobe’s inspirational magazine by creatives, for creatives." Find tutorials and links to magazine content as well as inspiration from around the Web.
- @InDesign_GU tweets links to Adobe InDesign tips, tricks, tutorials, reviews, and more from Gurus Unleashed.
- @AdvancedPshop belongs to Advanced Photoshop magazine. This is another one geared toward professionals. These tweets will provide inspiration for newbies too!
- @Illustrator_GU is Gurus Unleashed's Twitter account for Adobe Illustrator. Tweets cover tips, tricks, articles, etc.
It wouldn't be right to leave IT Training's Twitter account, @ittrainingiu, off of this list. Follow us to learn about our workshops, webinars, blog posts, and other training services. We also share tech news and tutorials from a variety of sources. You'll find @ittrainingiu useful whether you're a member of the IU community or not.
Now go check Twitter and start learning! And remember to organize your view of Twitter using lists.
Related WeAreIU Blogs:
Some of our Favorite Technology Podcasts
Do you know about IT Training at IU?
Photoshop Tips from the IT Training Tips Blog