Evolution of an UndergradMegan Freeman
Here is a portrait of my changing lifestyle, habits, and interests from year to year as an undergraduate at Indiana University. This will likely reflect to some degree the insecurity and eventual maturation of a college student, particularly female ones. It will definitely expose my own personal journey with all of its quirkiness, humor, embarrassment, and love. And so I ask you to reserve judgment for someone who cares. Thank you and enjoy (at my expense, as I expect you to).
Freshman Year, 2008-2009
- Dressing to impress. Wearing heels around campus and looking like a fool clip-clopping up Fee Mountain (Lane is a falsehood). Note, I changed from sweats to nicer clothes in a Steak 'N Shake bathroom on move in day...nobody really cared except me.
- Working out at the SRSC with loads of makeup on in order to look "hot" for the meat heads. Gross, but certainly not unheard of.
- Rushing sororities, getting into my favorite one of all. Making a plethora of friends, some of which are my best to this day. Feeling like I belonged for the first time ever. High school was rather nightmarish.
- Brown hair.
- Experiencing my first ever trials and tribulations with boys. Sometimes fun, more often not. Sadly, this comes with the territory. Especially the Greek one.
Sophomore Year, 2009-2010
- Frat parties where enduring the Katy Perrys of the world is absolutely essential to conforming.
- Best Halloween costume ever...7 Deadly Sins with my sorority sisters. I was Wrath, boom!
- Losing my scholarship.
- A lot of sweat pants.
- Blonde & black hair. I know, ew.
- Yo-yo dieting and exercise that would've put Janet Jackson to shame.
- More men problems. More lessons learned.
- Hyper critical of everything, including myself.
- Pita Pit.
Junior Year, 2010-2011
- Landing my first professional gig. A super rad internship with an online curated art print company called Thumbtack Press. Enjoyed the challenge of balancing this with school and having an excuse to camp out in Wells Library. Libraries have always made me feel like Belle from Beauty & the Beast.
- Roys and Sports. Subsequent discovery of the joy that is whiskey.
- Red hair.
- Desirous to enter a relationship. Did not happen multiple times, lucky for those guys.
- Embracing classic rock and alternative music. Letting go of Gaga.
- More gym, less makeup.
Senior Year, 2011-2012
- Yoga, particularly Vibe Yoga Studio. Now I can touch my toes and hold semi-acrobatic poses that I thought only the Betty Spaghettis can do.
- Spending money on outings with friends as opposed to blowing through a couple $20 bills several unmemorable nights at the bar during the week.
- Regaining my scholarship.
- First straight A's since middle school.
- Pseudo dating as I'd venture to call it. Not particularly enduring, but fun(ny) nonetheless.
- Attempting and ultimately failing at budgeting. Damn you Sephora!
- Early graduation with a Bachelor's in Arts aka no more homework!
- Visiting puppies on the reg at Delilah's. Best way to increase endorphins.
- Back to brunette.
- Early to bed, early to rise.
- Employment with IU's Office of Enrollment, the reason I'm writing this.
- Love affair with NetFlix.
- Coffee as my DOC.
- Overall improved. More confident, more fit, more self-sufficient, more intelligent, more forgiving, more happy.
As you can see, I have much more to say about this last year. It has all been a bit of a roller coaster, but ultimately satisfying in the end, as it should be I think.